Menu

May 3, 2011

Nutrition and Diet

As you know by now, I am a certified biomedical engineer and over the years, I developed an extensive knowledge in nutrition. I had to, because this is my line of work.
Therefore, I did a very thorough analysis regarding the diets available on the market today, once I decided to completely change my lifestyle for the better, do smart fitness and eat the right way.
It took me a while (…6 months…) to find the right training program and the nutritionally correct diet, but it was well worth searching for. Feel free to look over my reviews and see what programs I have been using to achieve my fitness, my dietary weight loss and my health goals. I am sure that you will find some valuable information there.

But let’s start with the basics!
What is nutrition? Well, by definition, nutrition is the science that studies the process by which living organisms acquire all the things that are necessary for them to live and grow. Nutrition consists of diet (what you take in) and metabolism (what happens to it after it enters your body).
             Proper nutrition means getting all the essential nutrients from your diet that are required to keep your body functioning normally. If you do not have proper nutrition, your body will lack one or more essential nutrients and will not be able to function normally.

What is diet? Your diet is, basically, what you eat. There are two very important aspects to your diet: what foods you eat and how much of them you eat.
To lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, you need to pay attention to both factors. If you eat all the right foods but they are in quantities that are too large, you will take in too many calories and will gain weight (fat). If you eat the right amount of calories but you get them from only one food group, you will lack essential nutrients, which may cause health problems.
To obtain all the nutrients that our bodies require, we have to eat the right mix of foods:  a balanced diet. This means eating a variety of foods from different food groups that together contain all the vitamins, minerals, and fuel – in the form of the carbohydrates, proteins, and fats – our bodies’ needs.
A diet program must be responsible and safe; therefore, I consider a balanced diet the key to a healthy lifestyle and a great physique.